Monday, July 12, 2010

Battle of the Bed and Medusa's Evil Twin

Okay, are you excited? I hope so because I am! Did that sound positive enough?

Day one went better than planned. I must have been so excited about the experiment because I just couldn’t fall asleep last night. Okay, maybe it was the soda from later in the afternoon. Regardless, I only had about 5 hours of sleep (I require 9, prefer 11). I woke up very tired. Half dazed, I tried to think of a good excuse to call in late to work. Maybe I could say I didn’t feel well or I had a doctor’s appointment. I had a big day ahead of me and knew I would have a hard time functioning on such little sleep. It was in everyone’s best interest I get a few more hours of sleep. I need to do this for the TEAM. I reached for my phone, about to call my boss and then I remembered…today is the first day of the Affirmations Experiment. Aw man! Really? Are you kidding me? Maybe I can start the experiment tomorrow? Hmmm….nope tomorrow is a TUESDAY, you can’t start such a thing on a Tuesday, it goes against the law of starting things. So I put down my phone in submission and thought I can’t be too tired to get up, I have be positive. I would love to tell you that I jumped out of bed, but it was more of a slow crawl, the kind where your hands are on the floor and your legs are still intertwined in the sheets of the bed. In my contorted state I thought, this is as good of a time to start as any… so here it goes …I am wide awake, I am wide awake, I am wide awake. I said it a few more times until I finally broke free from the shackles of my sheets. It worked... well at least it worked at getting me completely out of bed.

I went about my morning getting ready for work. I fell asleep last night with wet hair, not a good look for someone with wavy unruly hair like mine. My first stop was the bathroom where I was greeted by Medusa’s evil twin in the mirror. The evil twin said “Oh man, you look horrible!” It was at that moment that I caught myself in the midst of negativity. I better turn this around, remembering that what you put out to the universe is what you are asking for. So I stared Medusa right in the eye and said slowly and unconvincingly “I l-o v-e you just the way you are”. There! I did it. At first it sounded ridiculous and felt completely awkward. As I said it I truly thought who would love someone who looks like this in the morning. I proceeded with saying the affirmation a few more times and actually started to feel a little bit better about the mess that was my hair. I even started to laugh as I said it. I understand that you need to say affirmations over and over again, like doing reps at the gym. I mustered a few more out and thought ok, that should be good enough for my first day. I am a beginner after all. I went off to work and was fine the rest of the day. In fact, it was not until I was writing this blog that I realized I hadn’t been tired all day long! How about them apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment