Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sweet Home Chicago

A few weeks ago my Mother (who lives on the East coast) invited me to meet her in Chicago this past weekend. She had plans to fly in to town to attend a retirement party and thought it would be a fun place for us to meet up and spend some time together too. A former resident of Chi-town, I have been meaning to get back there for a few years now. I desperately wanted to go, yet did not have the $600 to blow on a ticket for a weekend getaway. I had some frequent flyer miles on Southwest Airlines but, due to the last minute planning, the seats were all booked. I was pretty bummed out, thinking Why do I even bother with these darn frequent flyer miles? I can never seem to redeem them when I want to go somewhere. I threw a short pity party and then remembered the experiment. Aha! This is as good of a time as any to put it to the test! So each day over the past week I said the affirmation "I am going to Chicago". I didn't know how it was going to happen, but I told myself that it would in fact be. They say you need to actually visualize that you are experiencing what it is you desire. So I imagined myself shopping, eating at all of my favorite restaurants and spending time with my Mom. As I went through my week I became more and more certain I was going to be there, even making plans to meet up with some old friends from the city. I checked the frequent flyer page daily and, sure enough, a flight opened up for me just two days before the weekend! I had a great weekend in Chicago and owe it to my positive thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment