Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Idiot?

I am starting to become much more aware of my thoughts throughout the day. There are times when my negative side gets the best of me and I start to say something self-deprecating, but then I actually catch myself and turn it around. Sometimes this is easy, but other times it’s a bit of a challenge, especially when I feel strongly about something. I was in my office and had a phone call with someone who had clearly not been listening to me. I had to repeat myself over and over again. When I hung up the phone I mumbled under my breath “What an idiot”. After I said it I realized that was not very Louise-Hay-like of me. This is where I struggle because I really did think that the woman I had just talked to on the phone was an idiot! So I am not really sure what one is to do in this sort of circumstance. Should I have tried to be more compassionate and said something like “she is not an idiot, she is preoccupied’? Does this even matter in the world of affirmations? Perhaps I only need to be positive when talking about myself? Some helpful advice would be much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I suppose it would be bad form to say "I am really smart. By comparison with that idiot, I am definitely smart." Hmm...one's affirmations probably shouldn't be founded on the shortcomings of others. Scratch that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bet that most people are not even aware of the dialogue that goes on in their own thoughts. I think the observation of the thought is an important first step to making change!

    ReplyDelete